Getting To The Point – Choosing The Right Needle
Did you know that there are different needles for different fabrics? Or are you guilty of sewing everything with a universal needle and hoping for the best? (Confession: even I do this when I’m in a hurry!)
Here’s a quick run down of the most common needles you’re likely to need.
1. Universal – good for regular woven fabrics.
2. Jersey/ballpoint – best for light/medium weight knit fabrics with lycra/elastane in the mix.
3. Stretch – good for heavier, looser weave knit fabrics.
4. Denim/Jeans – generally heavier and sharper than universal needles to get through thicker, denim fabric.
5. Microtex/Sharp – as the name suggests, they’re sharp!! Perfect for delicate fabrics such as silk and chiffon.
6. Leather – these are sharp and strong, enabling them to punch through leather.
Trust me when I say, it’s worth taking the time to change your needle when you change fabrics – it’s one of many steps that will help you achieve a strong and professional looking finish.
Leave a Reply